monster sarcasm rally

(contains short works of neurotica and general abuses of sarcasm)

18.2.05

Under pressure

Crap. Poop. Darn. [unintelligible muttering] And arse.

I'm under a lot of pressure. When I started this blog, I had me for a reader. Then I added Anne and She Who Defies Encapsulation in a Single Pseudonym. The Saint stopped by, and boldly refused to leave. Then Martin and Buster. I can't remember who came next, but you did. You kept coming. And for every person who stumbled in here and muttered 'What the hell kind of nonsense is this?' and kept on going, another one strolled in and stayed. Well, okay, maybe not 1:1. Maybe not even 10:1, but enough. Since the beginning of the year I've been averaging about 50 visitors per weekday. This week I'm up to nearly 100.

I'm not sure I'm up to it. What if I just can't, you know, deliver? I'm smart. I'm competent. I'm capable. My mother told me so, so it must be true. Right?

But I don't know. This might just be too much. People have expectations, you know?

Besides, there's only so much room in my head. What's wrong with me that I need to keep creating more and more imaginary people? Can somebody please psychoanalyse me? Can somebody please medicate me and make me all better. You know, make me normal...

Wait. Normal? I don't want to be normal. Who said anything about normal? I did. No, I didn't. I don't want to be normal. I don't want to be okay. I want to be strange and bizarre and incomprehensible. No, I don't. Yes, I do. Maybe. Who's head is this anyways? It's mine. It's mine. It's mine. How many of me are there? Just one. One. Twelve. Okay, everybody, shut up! I'm monologuing here! Just hold your peace until all the nice, imaginary readers leave the room.

Sorry about that. [fusses with hair] Where was I? Right. Pressure... All of a sudden I have all these people who come here every day, or every week, or whenever they get bored. It's just a lot of responsibility.

Every day as I walk to work or sit on the horrible streetcar, I think about the fact that you're all waiting for me to turn on my computer and start with the funny. I think about all the stupid/trivial/entertaining/infuriating/happy/sad/boring events in my life and plan out how to write them as funny. Then I do it and I feel relieved and accomplished and proud.

But some days, like today for instance, I just can't think of anything to say. And then I panic. I mean, you all keep coming here, eagerly waiting for the funny. Only there's nothing. What if the well's run dry? What if there is no more? What if I just can't do it?

Okay. I'd go on, but I really have to go to the toilet.
|| this is the word of the sarcastrix @ 10:27

everybody's 2ยข worth:

at 11:12 Blogger Rachel said...
Well, that met my standards. But I expect a humourous and/or snarky post later this afternoon!

 
at 13:01 Blogger cat said...
hey, i think this blog is just peachy keen! i don't care what you talk about (as long as it's not politics, i hate that and i get bored and stop reading :)).

i had an entire post about my boobs, ok? it's not really rocket science to think of something. ha hahaha! ;)

 
at 13:05 Blogger CBK said...
I too feel pressure to write, but not because I have a lot of readers, because I don't have much of a readership yet, certianly not a very vocal one. I probably should be careful what I wish for. When I'm uninspired, I don't write and then feel guilty and think my few readers will flee. But I don't want to just write a boring account of my day. That will make them flee, also, and discourage newbies from staying. Sigh. What's a blogger to do?

As for you own dilemma, you've already got an out. Just write a post saying, "Thank you all for reading. I'm off to India now. Talk to you in a while." Even if it's months before you are really leaving, we don't know that. Well, Rachel does, but she won't tell, will you Rachel?

 
at 13:18 Blogger Rachel said...
My lips are sealed.

 
at 15:31 Blogger Bottle Rocket Fire Alarm said...
You're weird.

But seriously, I just talk about juvenilia like poop and boogers when I have nothing of merit to share.

"Okay. I'd go on, but I really have to go to the toilet. "

See? You've already got the hang of it.

 
at 15:50 Anonymous Anonymous said...
It's like I always say...

Sooner or later all conversations turn to poop.

 

Post a Comment