monster sarcasm rally

(contains short works of neurotica and general abuses of sarcasm)

12.11.04

Today's grammar lesson

I frequently come across incorrect use of the word 'verbiage'. Most times, it is also misspelled. Somehow, people have the idea that this word is synonymous with 'wording'. I get notes from people telling me that they're not sure about their verbiage, and could I please check it for them. Or they say that they're just looking over their verbiage and will send me their document shortly.

This is funny.

Why is it so funny, oh great Sarcastrix? Please, enlighten us.

Well, you see little one, verbiage is not synonymous with wording at all.

Cambridge defines verbiage [noun, formal disapproving] as follows: 'language which is very complicated and which contains a lot of unnecessary words, e.g. His explanation was wrapped up in so much technical verbiage that I simply couldn't understand it'.

Oxford states that verbiage [noun] is 'needless accumulation of words; verbosity'.

So, clearly, telling me that you would like me to check your verbiage is funny. Accurate, but funny nonetheless.
|| this is the word of the sarcastrix @ 13:00

everybody's 2ยข worth:

at 15:23 Blogger New Life said...
Thanks for stopping by my blog. Hopefully, I wasn't too verbose for your liking.

Social Distortion? Right on. "The judge he gave me 99 to life."
Myself? The Clash.

Peace,
Rick

 
at 16:07 Blogger sic said...
Oh, nobody is more verbose than I am...

And I like your blog. Sometimes it's uncomfortable to read, but in a good way.

 

Post a Comment