monster sarcasm rally

(contains short works of neurotica and general abuses of sarcasm)

21.2.05

Have I mentioned that my father is strange?

Sarcastor the Truly Stubborn finally started his new job on Thursday. This is his second new job of the year. It also happens to be The Job, the one he's been talking about since he was first pushed into retirement by the Evil Corporation.

On Thursday evening he sent me an e-mail saying that he was disappointed by his performance, but hopefully things would improve. On Friday evening he sent me an e-mail saying that he wanted to quit. I responded by saying that it was one bad day, not all days are bad, it would get better, blah blah positive blah.

STS: Friday wasn't a bad day. What makes you think I had a bad day?
Me: You said you wanted to quit.
STS: Oh that.
Me: Why did you say you wanted to quit if it was actually a good day?
STS: To get a reaction out of you.

Late Saturday night I got another e-mail from him. He said there was a problem with the Jedi*. I asked what is was. I got an e-mail back almost immediately. He said that they just couldn't afford to keep it. I asked how he expected to do his job, since his job is driving. I got a message back just as I was getting into bed. He said they'd have to buy something cheaper. Whatever. I got into bed and went to sleep.

It probably gives away entirely too much about me if I say that the first thing I do in the mornings is check my e-mail, but oh well. There was another one from Sarcastor ten minutes after the previous one. 'Well', he demanded. 'Aren't you going to respond?'

I spoke to my parents on the phone a little while later. My dad immediately launched into their tragic tale (as he put it). The warranty on the Jedi would expire in a few months. The car is two and a half years old, but has needed a fair amount of repairs already. They decided that they couldn't afford the repairs without the warranty. They decided to extend the warranty.

Bubble went into the dealership to pay for the extended warranty. It was $400 up front and then would add $200 per month to their car payments for the remainder of the term. She was about (a boot) to hand over the cash, when she suddenly had an idea. She walked from the service department to the showroom. She went to the sales dude and asked him how much a new one would be.

It turned out that buying a brand new one would not only eliminate the need for the additional $200 a month for the warranty, it would also reduce their payments by $25 per month. She signed all the paperwork and drove home. They pick the new one up in a couple of weeks.

Bah. You know, the only reason he bought the 2003 in the first place was because I bought my Jedi that year and suddenly I had a newer car than he did. Mine's a 1999. I don't care about the age, but now I want to go trade mine in for a TDI. Oh well, at least mine has a better stereo than his does**.

*For some reason all the VW literature still calls them Jettas. How absurd.

**We're a little competitive, Sarcastor and I...
|| this is the word of the sarcastrix @ 09:30

everybody's 2ยข worth:

at 09:41 Blogger cat said...
i'm not entirely sure what to comment about on this. :) family issues are a little too close to home for me. ha! but i really, really need an excuse to write the following,so.. if you and your father ever come visit and come to blows...

try not to bleed on my couch i just had it steam cleaned...

(sorry, i couldn't help myself!!)

 
at 09:45 Anonymous Anonymous said...
My dad's just funny. My issues with my mother are more complex, but with my dad, it's just amusing.

 

Post a Comment