monster sarcasm rally

(contains short works of neurotica and general abuses of sarcasm)

20.1.05

The real horror story

Apparently people have been a wee bit disturbed by the parable I wrote yesterday afternoon, A tale of two kiddies. You may have scratched your head in wonder at how I (naive idealist that I am) could come up with such a dark narrative. As such, I've decided to share the true story that inspired the fictional one. Here it is for your reading pleasure.

When I was a child, Bubble faithfully took my brother and me to see the dentist. If my memory serves me, we went every other week for 12 years.

My brother must have had rocks for teeth. And not igneous rocks, either. We're talking granite. He had granite teeth. Or maybe they were diamonds. It didn't matter what he did or didn't do. He never had a cavity. His teeth never needed adjustments or corrections. Nothin'. Orin Scrivello, DDS, would peer in his mouth, poke at him with his shiny metal sticks a few times and then release him.

I had no such luck. Every single time we went there, Dr Scrivello found another cavity in my mouth, or at least space to put one. He would give me the dreaded needle, and then pull out his favourite jackhammer. The nurse would hold me down while he put the giant drill in my mouth. When the blinding pain seared through every cell in my tiny, innocent child-body, my mouth would involuntarily clamp shut.
__________________________________

I mis5t interrupptp mysdefl momementarily. May hads asre shaking sto abdly that I ancanoot tyoe. Morre latyer.

Okay. My hands are still shaking, but I'll just have to correct that when I get to the end.
__________________________________

My mouth would clamp shut, thus incurring Dr Scrivello's wrath. With the nurse still holding me down, he would inform me that...
This would be much easier if you lay still and held your mouth open.

But it hurts,
I would cry.

No, it doesn't, was his retort. You're imagining it. You can't feel anything.

Whatever. He knew how much it hurt and he liked it that way. He did the same thing every time. No matter how much I pleaded with him for more drugs, he just laughed and breathed his coffee breath in my face. Then he proceeded to drill new cavities so that he could fill them in with metal.

By the time we left, I'd be crying like the little girl that I was. My stupid little brother would be laughing and sucking his lollipop and saying that he didn't see what the big deal was. He said he rather liked the dentist.

I would tell Bubble how the bad man had hurt me while the nurse held me down. She would just shake her head and make tsk-ing sounds and tell me that that's what dentists do, dear. And of course, she'd haul me back to the same dude again the next time I 'needed' it.
|| this is the word of the sarcastrix @ 09:57

everybody's 2ยข worth:

Post a Comment