monster sarcasm rally

(contains short works of neurotica and general abuses of sarcasm)

26.12.04

Clearly, they needed an editor

At our Christmas service tonight we were instructed to turn to hymn number whatever. The First Nowell*? What the hell is that? Are we celebrating the birth our Saviour or bemoaning some sort of water shortage? I had to put the book away to keep myself from bursting out laughing all the way through the song.

*Rachel, if you tell me there's nothing wrong with that spelling, I won't hesitate to knock fifty points off you**.

**Unless, of course, you say it sarcastically, in which case I'd probably give you a bunch of points.
|| this is the word of the sarcastrix @ 23:27

everybody's 2ยข worth:

at 11:45 Blogger CBK said...
From my research, Darmok was a mythical warrior mentioned by an alien trying to establish a relationship with Picard and the Enterprise crew. Since the alien race speaks only in metaphors, he was using the story of Darmok to describe what he wanted to do with Picard. Since I totally cheated, I don't expect points, but the Saint is so far ahead, I didn't want him to get even more points for being close. ;-)

 
at 05:19 Blogger Jay said...
Whew that's funny.

 
at 10:32 Blogger Rachel said...
Hey sarcastrix,

In fact, I did notice that it was "The First Nowell", and I believe I made a very similar comment to the rest of the choir regarding the lack of good water.

NOEL, people, spell it with me now! As in, a lack of elevated transit trains!

 
at 17:50 Blogger SJ said...
Darmok - weedy little brown guy with whiskers? Or am I thinking of someone else...

 
at 17:52 Blogger SJ said...
Whatever, we're talking about the "when the walls fell" episode, right...?

 
at 11:20 Blogger Martin Locock said...
A pedant writes: Nowell is the older, Old English spelling, according to various editors.

What you should have done is insist on following their choice of language and to use Old English pronunciations for the service.

 
at 11:34 Blogger CBK said...
That's gotta be worth some points for Martin! Nice find.

 

Post a Comment