monster sarcasm rally

(contains short works of neurotica and general abuses of sarcasm)

15.12.04

Beer bad

I'm worried.

Tonight is our company Christmas party. I've been trying to psych myself up for it for the past month. I haven't been particularly successful. I foresee two possible outcomes.

One:
I spend the night surrounded by drunk men I don't like, who want to tell me everything they've been storing up for the past year.
And another thing...
I've never liked you!
My grammar isn't the problem; you're the problem!

Two:
I have a beer. I wander the bar giggling and telling everbody what I think of them and their grammar.
And you... You're like the mad hyphenator or sumfin...
Schtoopid princess, prancing around in yer little tutu, wif yer little magic fairy wand...
Haf you evemer even heard of vowels? Vowels are my friends. Stop abbrevematening them out of ever-thing!

See? Either way, this can't be a good idea.
________________________________

Six points to the first one who spots the Buffy reference.
|| this is the word of the sarcastrix @ 09:21

everybody's 2ยข worth:

at 10:20 Blogger Martin Locock said...
A management consultant writes:
It is clear that your organisation is a bit confused about your role. I supsect that when they decided they needed an e-editor it was seen as a technical function: they send you stuff, you put it on the website. You have (with or without encouragement?) developed this role into actually checking the standard of the content. Because you are outside the main power hierarchy (ie you can criticise anybody, if even it's been approved by their boss), nobody knows how far you must be obeyed. Although this seems like YOUR problem, it's not: whoever decided your post was needed needs to tell everyobdy else what the rules are and whether you should have the right to veto badly-written content.

The danger would be that they say "No, we don't want an editor, we want a robot to push a button". Or rather, "Know, we do'nt wont an editor: we want a Robot".

On a pragmatic level, many people are insecure about their writing ability and hate being corrected even if they know they are wrong. Some may say "Thanks for stopping me showing off my lack of grammatical knowledge", but most won't. They'll sulk.

See my forthcoming book: Seven Disgusting Habits of Ineffective People, and how to cure them.

 
at 11:30 Anonymous Anonymous said...
Six points to the Saint!!!!

Excellent work! Beer Bad is in fact the title of the episode he mentioned.

sarcastrix

 

Post a Comment