monster sarcasm rally

(contains short works of neurotica and general abuses of sarcasm)

8.10.04

The sarcastrix's guide to better writing

I've been bored at work lately, and I've been reading and writing blogs to wile the time away. I've been using the handy little 'Next Blog' button to stroll through random blogs.

I've learned something in my travels. People in Singapore use the most appalling grammar imaginable. And the spelling is atrocious. The problem is by no means limited to blogs from Singapore, they just seem to represent the worst abuses of the English language.

In order to be part of the solution rather than part of the problem, I've decided to post a mini guide to better writing.

1. Substituting 'u' for 'you': For the record, there are three characters in the word. Thank you.

2. The use of 'LOL' and 'he he he': I assure you, your blog does not need a laugh track. If it is funny, I will figure it out all on my own and will laugh at the appropriate points.

3. 'Your' versus 'you're': Try substituting the words 'you are'. If the sentence makes sense, then the word you're looking for is 'you're'.

4. 'Cuz' is not a word. How do I know this? Because it's not in the dictionary, that's how!

5. Similarly, 'Dat' is not a word, either. How do I know that? See above.

Thank you. Now please pay attention to what you write, or I shall come over there and kick your sorry butt!
|| this is the word of the sarcastrix @ 14:59

everybody's 2ยข worth:

at 22:49 Blogger Frater Bovious said...
How funny. I've noticed that about the Singapore blogs as well. I guess part of me is fascinated that they blog in English to start with, and the other part is amazed at the - dialect?- of English they seem to share.

I also have to say XiaXue cracks me up.

I also also have to say I like to read your stuff too. fb

 

Post a Comment